Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can they do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they do this?

Hello all

My Mother-in-law put a deposit down on a new house (in a redeveloped oasthouse) at the end of Jan. At this point, the developer was predicting the work would be finished in March.

Today, she received a call saying that they now do not think it will be finished until June/July...

Not only this, they are now saying because of this delay, they want more money for the property (approx £15,000 extra)!

Is this kosher? Can they just change the price because house prices have increased during a delay that is their fault?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as she is understandably upset!

Many thanks

Joe

Re: Can they do this?

Hey there, I would see if your mother did not sign a contract somewhere beforehand. Did they give you an estimate about how much the work was going to cost? It seems a bit dodgy that they are not only going to charge more money but also delaying the work considerably. If your mother has an estimate, a quote, anything at all, she may want to pursue legal options.

Comment

Re: Can they do this?

According to my experience the answer to "can they do this?" in the property buying world is "Yes" unless the contracts have been exchanged. The deposit doesn't sound like it's put in place a contract or they wouldn't even try it.

The best person to ask though would be the solicitor that's helping her through the process. Even off plan you should definately have one.

Comment

Working...
      X