Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgy Extension??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Extension??

Myself and the wife are considering moving home as we have a little one on the way and space in our current place has always been a concern.

We've found a house that ticks all the boxes. It's within our budget and has everything that we want. I have one nagging doubt about it though, which is the quality of the extension. I've ruled the property out in my head but I suppose I'm looking for a glimmer of hope from someone a little more knowledgeable in the field as it's the only property we have viewed that has ticked all of the boxes.

The house has been on the market now for nearly a year. It's already on the market for £10,000 less than what the current owner paid for it 8 years ago. The interior is all together and doesn't even need a lick of paint.

As I said though, the extension is a concern. As you look at the roof of the extension, it is not level. It visibly tilts down towards the original part of the house. There is also a crack on the exterior wall of the extension about a foot and a half long from one of the rear windows running downwards. The bricks do not interlock with the wall of the original part of the house and the floorboards of the extension part of the house creak. The house was originally built in the 1980s and believe the extension to be about 8 years old. I've looked in the loft and I cannot see any signs of damp as a possibility of the sagging roof. I wasn't sure of the size of the roof joists though. A bit on the thin side was my first impression but I couldn't say for certain.

Should I be right to run a mile or pursue further with a full survey? I don't want to throw away the cost of a full survey of the property when I should have just run a mile from the word go.

Re: Dodgy Extension??

Do you have a link to the property on Rightmove, so we can look at the roof. feel free to send me a link privately.

Christopher
    O7950 147 572

Comment

Working...
    X