Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property valuation based on illegal loft conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property valuation based on illegal loft conversion

Hi,

We have fallen in love with a beautiful house which seemed to be perfect for our needs. The home report valuation (£210k, offers over £199,999) was based upon 3 bedrooms and a study, the latter two rooms being in a loft conversion. However, the house is actually being advertised as 2 bed with potential to seek planning permission for the other rooms. Upon further investigation it turns out that planning permission was never sought for the loft conversion and building control regulations were therefore presumably not followed.

The loft conversion consists of proper stairs up to two rooms. The ceiling height is quite low but would be fine for a spare room and study (or are there minimum height restrictions?), with the potential option to seek planning permission for a dormer in future. The details are here if anyone is interested: https://www.mcewanfraserlegal.co.uk/...+ramoyle/34995

However, given that planning permission was never sought would the loft conversion have to be removed i.e. stairs taken out etc. It is currently being used as storage only. Also, would we need to have a structural survey to check the integrity of the building in case beams were cut or removed during the loft conversion?

Finally, does the seller have to get the home report valuation re-done to take into account the lower number of rooms? It would be hard to know what to offer otherwise.

I really want to find a way to make this property work out, but am I just getting myself into an impossible situation?

Any advice would be very gratefully recieved.

Many thanks,

Kirsty
Working...
X