Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof Terrace Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Terrace Confusion

I am in the process of buying a flat in London with a roof terrace. The flat is leasehold is one of 8 in the building, the flat owners own the freehold. The terrace is on the flat roof above our bathroom and a communal stairwell, its accesssed through a skylight in the loft.

The terrace was advertised as "own roof terrace" by the estate agents but there is no mention of it in the lease and it is not shown on the land registry plans.

I am struggling to understand if we would actually own the terrace or not. How can I go about finding out? What are the problems I could face if it turns out its not part of the flat? There is no record of building regulation approval for its construction, the flat is in a conservation area and the terrace is visible from the street so I would be very surprised if its never been reported!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Working...
X