Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Estate Agent tell vendor my offer on a different property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an Estate Agent tell vendor my offer on a different property?

Hi there, long time reader first time poster.

I have a small query that I need some help with. My wife and I were interested in a property marketed my an estate agent. We offered £270k for this property which was being considered. We had second thoughts on the property for various reasons and retracted our offer.

This morning I spoke to the same agent again in relation to another property we are interested in which needs substantial work doing to it. As such we have offered lower than asking price which we feel is fair for the condition of the property.

I was pretty shocked when the first thing the agent said was "can you afford to offer more?" without contacting the vendor. She then went on to say that she was aware we'd offered £270k previously and can we not make the offer more.

Our initial offer has been rejected and we have been told it will be pretty much bang on the asking price. This is for a property which has been on the market for almost 2 years and does not have any offers in on it. We got on really well with the vendors and they even went so far as to say they would be happy to reduce the price somewhat for the work that needs doing.

My worry is that the estate agent has told the vendor of our previous offer and to hold out for more as our offer on the other property was over the asking price on this property.

Is this legal? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

Re: Can an Estate Agent tell vendor my offer on a different property?

Some sellers are simply not in a hurry to sell. Your offer is simply that - an offer - but I would presume the estate agent already knows what the seller would like in terms of price.

Comment

Working...
    X