Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying - but unsure if conservatory building regs met.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying - but unsure if conservatory building regs met.

Hi,

We've seen a house that we're very keen on. There's already some other offers but they've not been accepted, and we can go to the full asking price, so feel we have a good chance of getting it.

However I noticed that the kitchen diner is actually made up of a room and a knocked-through conservatory.

If a conservatory is knocked through (i.e. no separating door) it needs building regs (I think as it needs to meet higher energy saving criteria, etc.). Is this something the surveyor will check?

Should I ask about this now? I don't want to lose the house because the vendor doesn't have regs and thinks 'uh-oh, he's on to us', so chooses someone at £5k less in the hope they won't notice.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. We want the house, but I'm concerned the conservatory could freeze the entire house in winter if it hasn't been done right, or we'd have to pay a fortune to get it up to regs.

Thanks!
Working...
X