Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seller likely to die in the next few days!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seller likely to die in the next few days!

Hello

I have been assisting my elderly mother to buy a retirement flat. Due to maintenance issues (technically the responsibility of the managing agent) there has been a delay in our exchanging. All along, the seller's Power of Attorney has been putting pressure on us to exchange and complete at very short notice (ie 7 days to both exchange and complete). They have never given a reason for this.

We are now being told that the seller (who is in a nursing home) is on his last legs, and that if the flat is not sold before he dies then it will go to probate, which presumably means a long delay before the sale can then take place.

I don't want Mum to lose the flat because of a probate problem. If we go ahead and exchange, can anyone tell me what the implications would be if the seller died before the sale/purchase was completed?

With many thanks, Rebrobin.

Re: Seller likely to die in the next few days!

Hi Rebrobin ill get back to you asap on this one - ill field the question to my legal associate.

Comment

Re: Seller likely to die in the next few days!

Don't be rushed into anything and take proper legal advice.
      (not off the internet!)
      Many retirment flats have a buy back clause and I expect they are trying to ensure they get the best price they can, while they can!
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
      X