Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Pressure from vendor to complete

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pressure from vendor to complete

    I am assisting my elderly and rather vulnerable parents to buy a retirement flat. The current owner has already vacated it. My parents are making a cash purchase and so can exchange as soon as the money has been released from their savings accounts to their bank current account. The survey has revealed that the balcony railing is rotting and unsafe. The balcony is a common part and so up to the managing agents to fix. We have been told that the work is in hand. However, I think it reasonable that the work is done before we agree to exchange. Meanwhile, the vendor is asking for completion in ten days time, and we are getting messages daily telling us that the balcony repair is in hand but beyond the vendors control, so will we please move to exchange. Is this reasonable? We would rather wait for the repair before agreeing to a completion date.
    Last edited by Redrobin; 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM. Reason: Wrong word

  • #2
    Re: Pressure from vendor to complete

    You should withhold an amount for the balcony repair.
    Managing agents are known to delay works even not do them at all.
    Retirement homes especially those purpose built are very badly managed.

    I would not complete until the work is done or unless the vendor puts a sum of maony aside to carry out the repairs.
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views


    • #3
      Re: Pressure from vendor to complete

      How quickly do your parents need to move? If they can wait a while, they could stand their ground and insist on the work being done before exchange of contracts, otherwise it will become their problem. The vendor should be putting pressure on the management company to fix the problem rather than putting pressure on your parents to exchange.

      If they need to move quickly I agree that an option is to withhold an amount to cover the cost of getting an independent contractor in to fix the problem.