Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eviction while buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eviction while buying?

Hi there,

My name is Miriam. I live in SW London and I'm privately renting a flat and buying around the same area at the same time.
    Our landlord has serve us with a Section 21 on our tenancy agreement ask us to vacate the flat we are renting by the 3rd of March. Our contract ends around August but they have the right to terminate earlier.
    We are in the middle of buying a house but will definitely not exchange by that day and I'm worrying we won't have somewhere to live after the 3rd of March
    We can't afford to pay for temporary accommodation as we are using all out money to buy and we have a 8 months old baby.
    Does anybody know if we have any rights?
    My plan is to go to my landlord tomorrow and try to negotiate an extension on the contract but I anticipate he will not listen.
    Anyone has had any similar experiences?
    Thanks a lot for reading.

Miriam

Re: Eviction while buying?

You are posting this in February - did he give you 2 months notice in Jnaury then? A month's notice is not sufficient.

Once the notice expires the landlord has to start court proceedings to get you out - he can't simply change the locks - if he does you contact the Council and they will prosecute him for unlawful eviction.

It costs him and takes time to go to court and he may not want that, so he can huff and puff but if you point out to him that you are buying somewhere and therefore ARE likely to move out fairy quickly but in the meantime you wil pay him rent for any short period after the notice expires he may see reason - that way he gets his rent and doesn't have to pay court costs.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X