Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Flat Conversion in West London - No Window in Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Flat Conversion in West London - No Window in Lounge

Hi there,

There's some good threads in here but nothing quite the same as our issue, so would really appreciate some advice.

We've agreed a buy price with the vendor on a 2 bed conversion.

Our mortgage valuation has come back significantly (>£30K) lower than the agreed price, reason not due to repair of building, but because the flat has been arranged in such a way the lounge (reception) is an internal room. As a result despite having 2 double bedrooms the surveyor has 'downgraded' it to a large 1 bedroom flat. He also says it contravenes building regs as there's no window in there. (the flat was extended and rearranged about 20 years ago not by the vendor)

I'm happy the flat will suit us for our needs, but I don't want the same issues when selling on.

I've already been back to the EA who has suggested coming to deal, between the offer price and mortgage valuation (also claiming this was sold as a 2 bed)

Supply is low in this area, and everything else about the flat is great and very desirable - location / street / building. At the lower price the £per sq foot would be the best around.

My questions are:

Has anyone else come across this before, and had any problems selling on?

Does a reception room by definition need a window to be a reception room?

Sadly I'm not a builder and have no experience of how easy this would be rearrrange (it looks expensive as you'd need to knock walls down move kitchens etc) so I feel there are too many ifs and buts by relying on that.

I do have the budget for a 2 bed flat, but I would have to wait for one to come available and this could be a great opportunity if secured at the lower price.

Any help much appreciated!

Re: Buying Flat Conversion in West London - No Window in Lounge

If a room such as a reception or bedroom has no window it is treated as a boxroom. Kitchens and bathrooms can be internal and get away with it. The EA should have known better. I wouldn't pay above the valuation on anything like this. While the price may look attractive as a 2 bed it becomes less so as a 1 bed. Yes you would have problems reselling - how long has it been on the market for. Unless you want to stay there for a very long time and it is the house you can't live without fair enough, otherwise wait !

Comment

Working...
    X