Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property with no building regs. Please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property with no building regs. Please help!

Hi. I would really appreciate some help. Me and my boyfriend are buying what was listed at the estate agents as a two bedroom house but in fact the second bedroom is a loft conversion (currently being used as a bedroom) that has no planning permission or building regulations. Does this mean we are paying for a two bed property that we will have to sell on as a one bed? The estate agents say that the sellers can list the property as a 2 bed as they are offering indemnity insurance and we could then sell it on as a two bed but I don’t think this is correct? The sellers know nothing about the conversion - it was probably built many years ago and I presume their solicitor paid no attention to it when they bought. How difficult and expensive is it to bring something up to building regulation standard? And if we wanted to do that does that mean we shouldn’t accept their offer of indemnity insurance? Should we pull out altogether? Or reduce our offer? If anyone could give me some advice I’d be very grateful.

Re: Property with no building regs. Please help!

Hi if you are still buying this property take care as all the indemnity insurance does is cover you if the council finds out - it wont cover you for poor work / defects or for the loss of value if you decide to resell the property in the future and have problems. We are in a similar position at the moment and waiting for info from the council before deciding what to do. The property we are buying has 2 bedrooms but the 2nd has no external window only a small window at the top of the wall into the conservatory. The conservatory and kitchen extension have not got building regs either. Let me know how you get on and wouldnt take any notice of what your estate agent tells you. Either ask surveyor or council for advice! Hate buying houses!!

Comment

Hi there, just seen this thread now. Have you got a mortgage approved? We are in the process of something similar. Offer accepted on a 2 bed flat in London , but the mortgage valuation survey has come back and said its a one bed flat so therefore valued it as a 1 bed not a 2, which is well below our agreed offer price. (Reason it's a 1 rather than a 2 in surveyors eyes is that the lounge has no window therefore lacks light). This value has reduced to property by about 9%, the same might happen on yours?

Comment

Dolly..

My understanding, based on mortgage lending experience not legal training, is that if it has been done for a good many years the Council could not enforce the reinstatement to original. If you want it, get a surveyor to check the structure first. Of course it might always have this stumbling block on re sale.......

Comment

You should walk away!

There could be many issues, one being risk of fire spread.
          The Building Regulations are there for a reason. Walk away!
          Indemnity Insurance is only any good if it actually pays out when you have to claim!
          BRAND NEW HOMES
          Information for UK new home buyers
          New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
          X