Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housebuilder misleading house size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housebuilder misleading house size

We are looking at purchasing a new build but I know that the builder is advertising the total sq footage of the house at quite a bit more than it actually is. Does anyone know what would be the best way to deal with this?? Who a complaint should be made to etc??

Re: Housebuilder misleading house size

I would probably contact your solicitor first of all to find out the proper rules and regulations of what is happening, they will know the best option!

Comment

Originally posted by hollybeany View Post
      We are looking at purchasing a new build but I know that the builder is advertising the total sq footage of the house at quite a bit more than it actually is. Does anyone know what would be the best way to deal with this?? Who a complaint should be made to etc??
      I am quite surprised by this. Generally I have found the dimensions to be pretty accurate, and where houses are resold or readvertised the second measurements are within a few centimetres of the first. It is not a perfect science though - often things like bathrooms are not sized individually and rooms are measured into bay windows and gross of chimneys, assuming they are even rectangular. Often on planning applications the measurements are wrong, but the builder really has no excuse.

You could challenge the builders, or use the reduction in floor area as a negotiating chip, but essentially buyer beware I think - if you need a 5m x 6.5m games room for your pool table - measure it out!

Comment

Originally posted by hollybeany View Post
        The house builder is breaking several laws Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and The Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008 reinforces the legal requirement not to make misleading or false statements when conducting business such as selling new homes.

Please complain to your local trading standards office straight away. Perhaps also the OFT and the Consumer Code.

They are even breaching the industry's own Consumer Code for Housebuilders!

It comes to something when new homes are that small, that house builders cannot even sell them without lying that they are larger than they actually are. It is bad enough the tricks they use in the show house to make rooms look bigger.

For more information on this and buying a new home please do visit my website.
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
        X