Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a house that has cracks in external wall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house that has cracks in external wall?

I have seen this semi-detached house for sale on an auction that perhaps I would be able to buy for a reasonable price, but I noticed that the house next to it has some cracks in the external wall. I am attaching a picture if anyone has any thoughts about it. I was thinking about buying the house on the left. If you had a chance to buy such a property would you worry about the cracks or not? Doing a structural survey is one option, but it costs some money and I don't know if I will end up buying this property or not anyway, so I wanted to hear what other people may think about it.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3231/cracksh.png

Re: Buying a house that has cracks in external wall?

this is what puts me off auction buying, id want an opinion from a surveyor before i buy anything with an issue like this but i know this isnt always practical if its an auction property

Comment

If you dont want to pay for full survey at this stage I would ask a decent builder to have a look at the property before deciding if it is worth a try at auction. They will tell you any work that is needed, give an idea of the value of the property and let you know if you should be worried about the cracks on the neighbours property. Good luck

Comment

there is some structural movement in that property. Get a full survey done before committing to buy.

Comment

hey Tharsos - we're all saying the same thing - surveryor, or at the very least a builder to review the whole house - outside and in.

Comment

Working...
          X