Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decision based on homebuyer survey results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision based on homebuyer survey results

My homebuyer survey came through on a ground floor maisonette we have put in an offer on. The key things were that the surveyor said there MAY be asbestos in the ceilings of the property due to the age of the flat and all the services needed to be tested as none of them clearly hadn't been for some time.

I'm now indecisive about what to do - do I push for the vendors to do the remedial work as I've been told the ceilings are fine as long as we don't disturb them or if we redecorate ( which we will do at some point ) then we have to get people in which would be costly. I'll push for the services to be tested anyway as they all should be before exchange of contracts. Should I push for a reduction in price due to the above or walk away from this? Would this affect reselling etc? I know that the owners are keen to move ASAP.

Thanks.

Re: Decision based on homebuyer survey results

You can get a sample tested for asbestos (or the seller can) for about £20. They take a small piece of the suspect material and post it to a lab. About a week later they'll post/email a report back. If the flat is post-1960s it's very unlikely to contain asbestos.

The thing about surveyors is that they'll NEVER commit to saying "yup, everything's fine" as they could be liable for any subsequent faults. So they will always paint a black picture about everything and will make every tiny imperfection sound as if the place is about to fall down. They'll also always qualify every statement with "would"'s "could"'s may, might, should check further and any other phrase that they can use to shirk responsibility.

Comment

Working...
    X