Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help on purchasing a property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on purchasing a property

I am making a final offer on a property but am concerned that the estate agent may be playing us off each other or may even be inventing offers to make us increase our offer. Is there any way I can find out whether he is acting with integrity or not?

Re: help on purchasing a property

Probably not, but I'd go with your feeling and act on that assumption - ie, if you feel you're being taken for a ride, then simply made a reasonable offer and tell the agent you'll walk away if not accepted in writing within two weeks.

Comment

Hi

Hope you got your offer accepted

To be honest there's no way of knowing. I'm an agent and I once made an offer on behalf of an elderly client. They kept coming back to me to say there was another person interested and they were outbidding my client.

I was convinced they were trying to play me and I advised my client not to rise to it. She made a final offer and held steady. They rejected it and two days later the property went under offer. Turns out they did have someone else. This was something that had been on the Market for months with no interest. Just bad timing but goes to show you can never tell.

Some agents do play that trick though. If you found them pushy on viewings etc then chances are they are THAT type of agent.

I'm always on hand if you're looking for any advice further down the line. Getting an offer agreed is just the start of the process, I deal with sales progression day in day out. Happy to help

Good luck

Comment

I also work as an agent and detest that kind of
        Behaviour. It is difficult to see through, but you
        Might try asking specific questions about the
        other party, such as nationality and gender,
        to see if the story is consistent. Does the agent always
        say he or she? You could also have a friend
        Unknown to the agent contact him and ask to make an offer
        below that of the supposed other party or even just
        Ask straight out if there are any offers. I wish you the
        Best of luck with your offer!

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
          Probably not, but I'd go with your feeling and act on that assumption - ie, if you feel you're being taken for a ride, then simply made a reasonable offer and tell the agent you'll walk away if not accepted in writing within two weeks.
          That’s the right thing to do. For estate agents, as much as I know, something is better than nothing, provided you are making a reasonable agreement. This is some sort of trick, but if that worked- that’s awesome.
          Guaranteed Rent Scheme |Estate agents Canary Wharf

Comment

Working...
          X