Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property with Tree Protection Order (TPO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property with Tree Protection Order (TPO)

Hi,

I have recently viewed a property and very much like it. The only problem is that the rear garden has two trees. According to the estate agent, they were there before the property was built in 2006. The trees are now taller than the house itself and are blocking the excellent view and the sunlight, hence the deck in rear garden is a little mouldy.

I've checked with the city council and these tress are under TPO, which means whatever I want to do to them needs an application to the council. The story from estate agent is a little different: we can trim and shorten them without application to the council but we cannot remove them.

The question really is:

(1) Do properties with trees under TPO tend to sell less well in general? There is a chance that I might move in 4-5 years time and I want to sell this house.

Thanks!

Re: Property with Tree Protection Order (TPO)

The story from estate agent is a little different: we can trim and shorten them without application to the council but we cannot remove them.
    Rubbish!!! You need consent to prune, let alone anything more serious.

If the trees are substantial then it will cost to remove them so whether or not they have a TPO on them is less of an issue than the cost of removal.

The question you need to ask is whether people would buy a house with trees blocking the sunlight.

I think the TPO point is valid, but really much less significant.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X