Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leasehold with freehold - implications?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leasehold with freehold - implications?

Hello, I am a first time buyer. I have recently made an offer and had it accepted on a ground floor conversion flat, the property is leasehold of the flat with the freehold of the building (a conversion house with a second flat above)
    I am clear on the terms leasehold and freehold, and have the lease paperwork for both properties where it is clear that responsibility is 50/50. However Im unclear what having the freehold of the building as well as the leasehold for the flat Im purchasing means. Could anyone explain in basic terms what it means please?

Really appreciate any advice or support.
    Thanks,
    Martin.

Re: Leasehold with freehold - implications?

As freeholder you will be responsible for complying with the landlord's covenants in the leases, e.g. to maintain structure and insure the whole building. Hopefully you will be able to recover half of the costs of this compliance from the lessee of the other flat, but your solicitors will need to advise you about this.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X