Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Hurdle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying Hurdle

    My partner and I had an offer accepted on a house on April 17th this year. When i put in the offer the estate agent told me their was no chain as the sellers were moving into rented accomodation. Since then we have instructed a solicitor, had a survey and valuation, had the mortgage confirmed etc etc. In fact we are really just waiting on an agreement on how we are going to remedy the urgent works that came up in the survey (new flat roof on the extension and damp-proofing the walls) and then we're ready to sign contracts and move. But i'd been struggling to get hold of the estate agent for a week and she finally got in touch today and dropped in to the conversation that the sellers are buying now ie. we are in a chain all of a sudden. The sellers have put an offer in on a house and that's all we know. We are a little annoyed that while we have been progressing as quickly as possible to let them know we're serious and not mess them about, we're now going to have to wait for them to play catch up. We are renting now and the contract is up at the end of July and then we're effectivley 'homeless'. Has anyone had a similar experience? Do we have any rights or negotiating powers here? I'm guessing not...

  • #2
    Re: Buying Hurdle

    Just sign the contract and ensure you have a moving day that suits you. Let the seller worry about renting, not you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Buying Hurdle

      If the sellers had difficulty selling their property, threaten to pull out if they don't exchange immediately. If they can easily find another buyer then they will do that and leave you stranded.

      Did you talk to the sellers themselves about them moving out or was that just what you heard from estate agents?

      If it was only the estate agents then why did you believe them?

      Unfortunately when it comes to talking instructions from sellers estate agents have very selective hearing - so when asked whether they would move out to enable a sale to proceed the sellers might say something like they might consider it, if it was only for a short time and friends/parents could put them up.. Estate agents have special ears that are trained not to hear such qualifications and they routinely tell buyers that such sellers will move out.

      When I hear anything like this I tell my buyer clients to talk direct to the sellers and make sure that they are committed to moving out and they have thought through the implications for them in doing so - they won't be legally committed - but will feel a much stronger moral obligation than in a case where they feel the estate agent misrepresented what they said to an unfortunate buyer.
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

      Comment

      Working...
      X