Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Buying a house with no building regs or planning permission

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying a house with no building regs or planning permission


    My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying a property. The house was built in 1984 as an extension to an already existing victorian terrace. To clarify, it was built as a house and an extension that has been converted.

    The solicitor has received the local authority search paperwork back and they have noted that no information was available relating to planning permission or building regulation paperwork.

    Now I understand that we can get indemnity insurance for the building regs and planning however the solicitor told us "indemnity insurance does not cover the adequacy of the building works actually carried out which is something which your surveyor may be able to comment on".

    The surveyor/homebuyers report did not mention any evidence of structural defects or anything else to be concerned about. The property is approaching 40 years old and from I can see it appears solid. The only work needed is superficial. I would have expected poor quality work to have shown by now.

    My girlfriend is now worrying that this will affect when selling in future (this was seen as a 3 year project).

    Any advice would be appreciated.


  • #2
    Re: Buying a house with no building regs or planning permission

    Shouldn't affect future value - has it affected your offer at all since you found out? You will, however, be expected to pay for a lack of building regs / planning policy when you come to sell the property, the same as your seller is doing.

    Coming to think of it - if the works were done in 1984 - do you really need a lack of planning / building regs policy? Ask your solicitor. I think the local authority are time-barred on doing anything about either now -and that's the only thing a policy's going to cover you for so not sure it's going to add anything anyway.