Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freehold house with leasehold garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freehold house with leasehold garage

Hi,
    I have had an offer accepted on a house which has an adjoining garage. The house is a three-storey town house and adjoining it is the garage to our property which also has a flat above it.
    The house is freehold, but I'm told that the garage is leasehold because of the flat being above the garage. I don't know if the flat is leasehold or freehold.
    Is this anything to worry about?
    I'm told the lease is only a nominal figure of around £10 per year (I've yet to get confirmation of the exact amount)
    Should I be concerned about anything, and what questions should I be asking?

FYI - the house and flat were built new in 2008.

thanks in advance,
    Steve

Re: Freehold house with leasehold garage

Pretty standard for this sort of layout in modern developments.

The freehold may either belong to the developer/some shark property company that bought the freeholds from the developer or to the person who owns the flat above if it is a "coach house".

Plenty of downsides to shark propetty companies. Alternative of freehold belong to flat owner is better except he may have forgotten that he is usually supposed to insure the whole building including your garage!
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Freehold house with leasehold garage

Thanks for the reply Richard,
      I've since seen a copy of the lease details and it is a 999 year lease and looks like the original builders (Persimmon Homes) are the Tenant and the Landlord is the guy who lives in the flat above the garage.
      If he is the Landlord, is he able to increase any rent / charges for the lease at any time?
      Who is it that actually OWNS the garage in a case like this?
      There is a section in the lease that states the premium is 'NIL', am I right in thinking that means there is no charge at all for the lease of the garage?

thanks again,

Comment

Working...
      X