Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage at the end of the garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage at the end of the garden

Hello there,

My partner and I are just looking into buying a house. We have just had the land registry map back and the line they have drawn around the property does not include the garage at the back of the property. The garage it actually attached to the back garden i.e. the back garden wall is the side of the garage.
    Obviously we are a little worried as the current owner doesn’t know why it’s not on the land registry. When he checked is original map from when he bought the place it was the same as ours (garage not marked)

Is this going to be a big deal? Does the land become ours after a certain time? Has anyone had this before?

Our solicitor is looking into it at the moment but for peace of mind I thought I would ask peoples opinions

Thanks
    Lee

Re: Garage at the end of the garden

There are two possibilities here:

1. The plan shows the right length of garden (including the area taken up by the garage) but the plan doesn't show the garage. Land Registry plans aren't necessarily up to date as far as physical features are concerned - they are only bothered about the boundaries - not what is built on the land - it is very common for the Land Registry plan for a new build simply to show an oblong area of land with nothing on it!

2. The plan actually shows the garage, but outside the area edged red on the LR plan. This could mean:
    a) the seller doesn't own it; or
    b) it is owned under a separate title and the solicitors have been told this/obtained copies of it form the LR.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X