Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work needed following survey : Reduce offer on house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work needed following survey : Reduce offer on house?

We've offered and had accepted a slightly lower price on a mid-terrace 100 year old house. The current occupants have sold to a builder as part-exchange on a new build they're buying from him so the actual seller of the house is the builder. There have been some improvements to the house over the years and we have had a full building survey carried out. The survey has said there are a few things to note and do over the next few years but most urgently there is a flat roof over a kitchen extension, the occupants have laid decking over the roof but the roof is showing signs of needing to be replaced fairly soon.

My question is - given that this work needs to be done fairly quickly and given our offer was made subject to satisfactory survey, should we attempt to reduce our offer for the house bearing in mind the work that needs to be done on it?

Re: Work needed following survey : Reduce offer on house?

I think it is certainly worth pursuing. Perhaps you could obtain an estimate of how much a roof replacement would cost and use this as your starting point. After all, you are not yet committed to the purchase of this house and the builder will not want the house on its books longer than necessary, particularly as the roof will only deteriorate further the longer it is left unrepaired. Good luck.

Comment

That's the beauty of having a survey done, it provides you with an independent report and effectively negotiating tool. My advice is you certainly should use the report for that purpose.

Glad to hear you had a survey done, only about 1 in 10 people do and according to the Building Research Establishment, those who do can save thousands of pounds.

Good luck with your move.

Castle Surveyors Limited.

Comment

We spoke to the Builders, made a lower offer and they came back with a counter-offer - in the end we've reduced the price we're paying for the house by £4000. Given the survey was well under a fifth of that, it's already paid for itself! Most importantly though, we're going into buying this house with a pretty good idea of what needs to be done and with a far reduced risk of unexpected horrors - we now know what needs to be done and we can budget accordingly!

Comment

Really pleased to hear your story and outcome, that's exactly what a survey is designed to do. Pity more people don't take your advice, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Chartered Surveyor.

Best of luck in your purchase, keep spreading the word.

Comment

Working...
          X