Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendor blocking sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor blocking sale

I am having trouble with the vendors of a property i am buying. Since my offer was accepted it has been nearly four months and my mortgage offer is about to expire. As a first time buyer it was a struggle to even get a mortgage in the first place. It turns out the vendors are going through a divorce and the wife has now decided to block the sale. Now with my mortgage offer due to expire I stand to loose all the money I have put up for surveys, solicitors and mortgage application. Any information involving any possibility of claiming any of this back off the vendor would be appreciated.

Re: Vendor blocking sale

This is why the government originally brought in HIPS - and were jeered for it.

Comment

My understanding is until contracts are exchanged, neither side is legally committed and can pull out at any time without penalty, even if the other side has incurred costs such as solicitors fees, surveys or mortgage application fees. Only if contracts have been exchanged would you have any legal redress - sorry. It is so upsetting when this happens.

Comment

Moral is to ask about why the property is being sold when you are first interested and if you sniff a divorce in the air then run away fast, unless you get very detailed assurances from both divorcing parties' solicitors that all is sorted.
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
        X