Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal loan or mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal loan or mortgage?

Just short of £25K to buy a repo. Should I apply for a loan or mortgage? Interest on loan is 6.99% fixed for 2,3,5 years whilst mortgage is 3.45% for 2 year fixed or 3.99% for a 5 year fixed and its fee-free with HSBC?
    What is your advice?
    Ta.

Re: Personal loan or mortgage?

Mortgages are traditionally cheaper than loans. The interest rate for a loan you quoted is double the mortgage interest, for example

Comment

Thanks Brian! A member of staff from the bank and the financial advisor advised that I take out a loan. But when I worked out the sums, it cost less in money and stress to go for a mortgage.
      You're the best!

Comment

Everyone has different needs. You may hate the idea of monthly loan fees. Or you may think a few dollars a month is fine – but only if you can pay extra funds into your loan and take them out when you need them at no extra cost. You may want the option of moving to a fixed interest rate down the track. Or you may want to buy as much house as you can possibly afford, even if that means a low-flexibility no-frills loan.
        Deciding which of these options suits you is one of the hardest things about taking out a home loan. (eChoice's application process, its telephone consultants and its home loan managers can help you sort out your priorities.)

Comment

Of course, this is a UK forum, not an American one, and so even though there may be some similarities between mortgages and "home loans", there will be any number of differences too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeannie D View Post
            Of course, this is a UK forum, not an American one, and so even though there may be some similarities between mortgages and "home loans", there will be any number of differences too.
            I agree with you Jeannie

Comment

Working...
            X