Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - solicitors needs certificates and regs that seller doesnt have

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - solicitors needs certificates and regs that seller doesnt have

Hi all.

Hoping someone can give me advice.

Im currently buying a house and my solicitor has asked the current owners to provide the following information:

- certificates for windows
    - certificates for electrical work
    - building regs for porch
    - covenance for any building regs to say that they haven't breached any covenants.

The problem is that all the above was work that was done before they even moved into the house 1994, and back then it wasn't neccessary to provide all of this so they never received anything off the previous owners.

It was meant to be a fast track mortgage as we were supposed to be moving in in 2 weeks time. Theyre now quoting 8 weeks.

Is there anything that can be done to speed this up?

Nic x

Re: Need help - solicitors needs certificates and regs that seller doesnt have

Originally posted by nickistar86 View Post
    Hi all.

Hoping someone can give me advice.

Im currently buying a house and my solicitor has asked the current owners to provide the following information:

- certificates for windows
    - certificates for electrical work
    - building regs for porch
    - covenance for any building regs to say that they haven't breached any covenants.

The problem is that all the above was work that was done before they even moved into the house 1994, and back then it wasn't neccessary to provide all of this so they never received anything off the previous owners.

It was meant to be a fast track mortgage as we were supposed to be moving in in 2 weeks time. Theyre now quoting 8 weeks.

Is there anything that can be done to speed this up?

Nic x
    Hi Nic
    I assume by certificates for windows, you mean guarantees? and same for the electrical work? a rewire? If this is the case, it is usual to request this paper work and if they are not available then it is up to you as the buyer as to whether you are willing to proceed without them ( confident of the windows not dropping out etc) by accepting without guarantees you are effectively waiving rights to recourse, your solicitor should advise you about this. I bought a house recently with the same issue, work done by previous owner. I had to use my judgement and I decided to proceed. On the electrical it depends exactly what this referring to and whether there is any risk of fire etc... so hard to say without knowing exactly what electrical work

for the building regs for the porch you can go to the local authority, or your seller can and check whether the porch had building regs sign off. This is important to check as there are cut off dates where regs changed so you would also need an estimate of when it was built. If it was recent they should have the records, and they may even be available on line, 1994? the local authority would advise you as to what they have if anything, but your solicitor should be guiding you and not holding up the process. Who has added the 8 weeks?
    Jackie

Comment

Working...
    X