Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a property that has no building regulations for the loft converstion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a property that has no building regulations for the loft converstion?

Hi All

I wonder if you could help me? I am a first time buyer that is about to buy a property. When i first seen the house on rightmove it was advertised as a 5 bedroom house and was under offer - Since then the offer has fell through and the house has been re-advertised as 3 beds to the first floor and 2 attic rooms and a shower room to the 2nd. I have been to see it, loved it and put an offer in, which has now been accepted.

I have had the home buyers survey done and this has come back fine but mentioned that it "assumed" the loft conversion was done to building regulations / standards - after requesting the information from the vendors they dont have them. Her father done the conversion in the 1990s - (the last offer fell through as they didnt have these documents). I asked them to get a builder to come round and look at it but they said a builder had already looked at it and it was structually sound - however this is just word of mouth and there is again, no documentation confirming this from him.

Can anyone please advise me on how i should proceed with this? i undertsand that i am buying a 3 bed house with loft converstions and the price reflects this - I am more worried about any re-sale issues without these documents

Thanks - any help would be mucho appreciated.

Re: Should I buy a property that has no building regulations for the loft converstion

You could ask for a structural surveyors report on the conversion to ensure it is sound and then if it is ask for indemnity insurance against the council asking for it to be rebuilt to current regs (this wont happen but will help when you resell)

Comment

Working...
    X