Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time buyer in a bit of a pickle :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time buyer in a bit of a pickle :(

Hi, i'm in the process of buying my first property and I have found myself in a very awkward situation!

I'm looking at a new build house to take advantage of the Homebuy Scheme which means I need a mortgage of 70% of the value of the house and a deposit of 5% (no savings and girlfriend is pregnant so i'm in a rush )

When i first went to view the property I was told the parking space at the front of the house belonged to the house I was viewing, and this was a very big part of the deal as I would be expecting a baby in the next few months. I asked to see the plans and was told dont worry its definately yours, you can see the plans nearer completion.

Since then i've signed up for my mortgage, paid search fees and survey fees, and bought most of the furniture!

This weekend however, the plan deeds came in the post, and I found that the parking space for my property was actualy down the road in a seperate car park.

The home builder has now said it was their head offices mistake and that the plans are correct and they were wrong, and also there is a £70 per year charge by a management company to park there!

I've been told by the sales person that they will get in touch with their sales manager (who isnt working until wednesday) and see what they can do for me.

I need to know if anyone has been in a similar predicament before and what they did, or if anyone could offer their advice to me as its a pretty bad situation!

Thanks a lot for reading, any advise will help (aside from see the plans beforehand - how naive of me to trust them )

Re: First time buyer in a bit of a pickle

Wakefield, I am sorry you haven't had a sensible response to your question. I can understand how much this is worrying you. Did you manage to get hold of the sales manager? And which property would own a parking space in front of your intended new house?

Comment

It would be useful if possible to find all communications where you stipulated the car parking was included and was important to you.

So even if this is simply an email between you and the estate agent.

If you then come back to us, we can then say how strong your case might be.

-------
      Equally, when the home builder admitted the mistake, did they communicate via email etc? It may be worth talking to your solicitor to see if compensation or any other form of help is possible.
      -------
      You may be able to use the plans to say you bought the property under false pretenses... if you have a strong enough case, then you should be able to get compensation.

Kind Regards,
      Randeep
      Last edited by Randeep; 23-02-2012, 08:32 PM.
      Randeep Mann

Want to Rent or Sell quickly? I can help.
      Facebook Email

Comment

Evening,

Sorry to hear your story.

As mentioned above, hopefully you have something in writing but either way a verbal agreement is still legally binding, but much harder to prove! Did you have a witness?

Comment

Working...
        X