Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

house is on the land registry as freehold AND leasehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house is on the land registry as freehold AND leasehold

Hello

The house is on the land register as freehold, but there's also an entry for the same property as leasehold. The vendor says it is freehold.

I've bought and downloaded both registers but I'm confused. Can anybody help?

The LEASHOLD title deed says:
    Property Register:
    particulars - term: 99 years from 24 June 1936
    parties - Person X
    The lessor's title is registered

Title good leasehold:
    10.01.1967 proprietor: Person Y

The FREEHOLD title deed says:
    Property register:
    A conveyance of the land in this title dated 27 Sept 1976 between ... and Person Y contains the following provisions

Proprietorship register:
    Title absolute - 27.06.1974 - Proprietor: Person Y

Charges register:
    Lease dated 31 Dec 1936 to Person X from 24 June 1936.

Can anybody help me understand if this is def freehold?

Thank you!

Re: house is on the land registry as freehold AND leasehold

Person Y had the lease and then bought the freehold - he is his own landlord.

Possibly he has/had a mortgage on the leasehold title but not on the freehold. The leasehold title could be "merged" into the freehold and removed, but probably nobody has bothered. No big deal.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: house is on the land registry as freehold AND leasehold

So long as the solicitors tell you its a free-hold when you buy the property, then I would go with that.

Regards,
      Randeep
      Randeep Mann

Want to Rent or Sell quickly? I can help.
      Facebook Email

Comment

Working...
      X