Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shortterm lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortterm lease

i am interested in buying a property and need some advice on lease thing.

the lease period on the property is under 25 years, now if i buy it what should i do, or what should i do before buying it?

is the lease extendable? if yes how to and how much would it cost?

can i buy the lease in my name? if yes then how to and how much would it cost?

thank you

Re: shortterm lease

If it is a residential flat lease will normally be extendible by 90 years at a nil ground rent but you only have a right to such an extension after you have owned the lease for 2 years.

This will be totally unmortgageable so presumably will be going for some ridiculously cheap price. It will cost a lot to extend the lease - a five or even six figure sum depending on the value of an equivalent property with a long lease.

Normally you should only buy if the seller will organise a lease extension for you so that when you complete the purchase you get an extended lease. If the seller is seriously trying to sell such a lease then he must be very strapped for cash.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

As Richard said, you'll certainly not get a mortgage on this property (unless you try a bridging loan, which is a very dire alternative), but assuming you can overcome this hurdle, you absolutely must get a proper quote for the extension of the lease. It's a large risk without doing so.

I wish you the best of luck
      Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

You may be able to get a mortgage with this lease length if the property is in central london
        Large mortgages and High Net Worth Mortgages from enness private clients

Comment

Working...
        X