Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on making the first offer please!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on making the first offer please!!

Hi Guys I'm new to this site, I was hoping to get some advice on making an offer on a house my wife and I have seen, we have practically sold ours so we are in a good position - we are willing to move out once our buyer complete's, so in effect we would be chain free.

Time for the figures, the house is a 3 bed semi in WN6 and is on for £175,000 at the minute. It has only been on the market for about a month but started at £180,000 has since been reduced by £5000 in the space of a month or less. I done some research on home.co.uk and other similar website's and I do think the house is still quite expensive (current market considered).

What would be an acceptable 1st offer at house priced at £175,000? I obviously don't want to be cheeky/ridiculous but I obviously don't want to spend more than it is worth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Many thanks
    Dan

Re: advice on making the first offer please!!

Nothing wrong with being cheeky - the fact they've dropped the price after a month suggests they may be in a hurry to sell.

Personally I'd consider putting in an offer of 5k-10k less and see what reaction you get - presuming the house is worth that!!

Comment

Id say a minimum of 10k lower to start with - remember you do not generally decrease an offer after it has been accepted. The worst they can say is no.
      Anthony
      Compare the Mortgage Market
      http://www.comparethemortgagemarket.com

Comment

You can increase on your first offer if they turn you down, but it's very difficult to lower it if they say "yes" straight away. Be as cheeky as you like. Some vendors may take offence but most will see it as just part of the selling process. The fact that they have dropped the price indicates that they are keen to move quickly so you, as a buyer, are in a position of strength in the current market.

Also, you wouldn't be considered chain free until your house actually completes and you have your deposit money in the bank. Until then you are a buyer with a reliance on your own buyer to proceed through to completion - therefore you are in a chain until that happens.
        Last edited by IFA; 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Brian.
          This industry kind of expects a little cheekyness from time to time.

Worst case: your offer will just get rejected.
          Best case: you will save a lot of money.

It's better to put in a low bid then raise it than the other way round
          estate agents in bournemouth

Comment

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."
            Silly offers means inflated asking prices.
            A HOME is worth what someone wants to pay.

How would you like a "silly offer" when you come to sell?
            BRAND NEW HOMES
            Information for UK new home buyers
            New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Silly offers to meet silly valuations, NHE.

Comment

NHE is right with him saying that a home is really worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sometimes you do get over excited estate agents that will over value the houses. As we have said before, worst that can happen is they refuse the offer and you have to up it.
                Anthony
                Compare the Mortgage Market
                http://www.comparethemortgagemarket.com

Comment

Plus don't forget that estate agents are duty bound to give your offer to the vendor, no matter how low or silly it is.
                  Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Working...
                  X