Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does listed status add to value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does listed status add to value

I'm interested in purchasing a property in the West Midlands which is listed. It is a small Victorian lodge of architectural interest. It is unique in the area, which otherwise consists of bog-standard pre-war redbrick dwellings. It has one other unique feature, which is a very large garden of a quarter acre. It is on the market for £250,000. In comparison, a two bed bungalow in the same area, with only slightly less internal space, but less need for updating, and a good sized garden, is on the market for £176,000.

This listed building strikes me as overvalued. Does anyone have a view on how much should be added to the value of a property for listed status?

Re: How much does listed status add to value

Listed status does not necessarily add value. Except that listed homes are often in desirable locations - a different matter.

It comes with extra burdens and restrictions that unlisted homes dont have.
    So the listed "charm" comes at a price!

I would not buy a listed property - ever!
    BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

I agree there is no real value to it being listed only the psycological effect it has on some people they see it as being superior to other house's, and yes you can be limited to what you can do with some you will have english heritage on your back every tine you want do make any changes.
      www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

Hi Editha

New Homes Expert and Trades Master are absolutely right. Stay clear!
        Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Actually, I've already owned a listed building. I had no problems, so I'm not put off by the listed status. That was in London, and I'd agree that listing there, where there are so many listed buildings, probably does not add value. However, the house I'm interested in now, in the West Midlands, is one of very few listed buildings in the area, and the estate agent appears to believe that the listing adds value.

Comment

They will say ANYTHING to justify a higher market price!
            BRAND NEW HOMES
            Information for UK new home buyers
            New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

I would be interested in knowing what the agent's explanation would be if you asked them why they believe that a listed building is more valuable.

I suspect that their answer would be nothing more than a load of meaningless waffle.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

there is no extra value to a listed status no matter where the property is.
                www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X