Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it now a good time to buy a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it now a good time to buy a home?

my 10%-15% deposit is now ready. Is it now a good time to buy a flat or house in London or I should wait until next year??

Before answering, consider these 2 factors in my situation:

1) Are the house prices going up or down in comparison with next year? All the articles I've read predicted that the house prices are going down.

2) Next year I can get a mortgage rate of 2% less according to a mortgage adviser I had discussed with because in 9 months time I'll be able to get my permanent residency.

Therefore about 6% now, 4% next year.

For a £200k, it would be like £12k a year interest with 6% and £8k with 4%.

The difference would be £4k (£333 per month) interest per year.

So, if the house price goes higher than this interest, it'd be financially worth purchasing it now otherwise I should be waiting another 9 months, increasing my deposit and get the mortgage next year.

What do you think? any good advise?

Re: Is it now a good time to buy a home?

Hi Wishtobuyaflat

The great thing is that you've clearly sat down and thought not just about all the information you've read, but you've actually done your maths too.

The answer is really quite simple...hold fire.

Why? Well you have control over how much you pay and have the ability to pay less if you wait. And like you said, the risk is that house prices will rise beyond your savings is a risk...not a certainty. If you intend to live there for a number of years then you should be more concerned about your mortgage affordability. If you intend to move fairly soon after purchasing then you need to dissect house prices on a level specific to the area of London you're intereted in.

London seems to be one of the few areas in the UK that bucked the ressession, but that doesn't meen they're not capable of dropping when interest rates rise and those on stretched mortgages get their homes repossessed. The most important thing to research in the local house prices rather than national statistics.

Where in particular are you looking to buy in London?

Dan S
    Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan S View Post

If you intend to live there for a number of years then you should be more concerned about your mortgage affordability. If you intend to move fairly soon after purchasing then you need to dissect house prices on a level specific to the area of London you're intereted in.
      Thanks for your response Dan.

My intention is to stay there for a long time (e.g. 5 years or more) so wouldn't like to move quickly.

About the mortgage rate, what if I get the mortgage now with a fixed 2 years rate then re-mortgaging after 2 years when I also have my permanent residency which means after re-mortgaging I'll be able to get the lower rate. I'd guess it would be possible to do this?

So the affordability concern would be just for 2 years and I'd think I'd be fine with but yes this is another important factor.

I haven't started looking yet but around Wimbledon area perhaps.

Thanks,

Comment

if you feel that you have a very stable job and you have a good savings deposit then what are you waiting for. Go ahead and feel free to get your own home. The earlier you can get the better since you will be able to develop your house to your full extent when you are ready to renovate, change or add something to satisfy your way of living.
        don't invest on something non profitable.

Comment

Hi WishToBuyAFlat

You raise some excellent points and since you say you're looking to stay there at least 5 years and are intereted in Wimbledon, it may make sense to buy now.*

As I said before, London's capital growth slowed down significantly during the recession buy it never actually stopped. Simply because it's London it doesn't mean prices can't fall, but it's certainly a safer area to invest your money that other parts of the country.*

As a side note, I would advise against a two year fixes mortgage. To really get the benefit from a fixed rate mortgage you should go for at least 3 years and preferably 5. But when interest rates rise it won't be fast, so it's more likely you'll need to fix in 2 years time rather than now.*

I wish you the best of luck. Take a look at the PROPERTY HUNTING guides here for when you're looking too.*

All the best,

Dan S

Comment

All crystall ball stuff!
            If anyone truly knew the answers to your questions they could make a fortune spread betting on the market.

You should buy when you can afford to, at a price you feel is fair for the property you want to live in.

If you are after making money out of it then you could get burned short term.
            Long term it is always the right time to buy a home.
            Last edited by New Homes Expert; 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM.
            BRAND NEW HOMES
            Information for UK new home buyers
            New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

I couldn't agree more with NHE. The idea of 'timing the market' is only contingent on you worrying about selling it after living there for a short period of time. It's all very well and good buying a home a the bottom of the market and then selling at the peak, but you'll be moving yourself and so you'll be buying again, but this time at the peak of the market!

Comment

Originally posted by New Homes Expert View Post
                All crystall ball stuff!
                If anyone truly knew the answers to your questions they could make a fortune spread betting on the market.

You should buy when you can afford to, at a price you feel is fair for the property you want to live in.

If you are after making money out of it then you could get burned short term.
                Long term it is always the right time to buy a home.
                +1

Since its buyers market try to haggle a bit over the prices rather than just paying the asking price

Comment

Which is especially true as most estate agents are knowingly overvaluing property in order to secure business at the moment.

Comment

EA overvaluing properties to get business?
                    Their windows are full of property they cant sell because no one is buying!
                    Why would they want more overpriced property on their books?
                    BRAND NEW HOMES
                    Information for UK new home buyers
                    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

A seller approaches 3 different estate agents. They all cost the same, only one estate agent claims they can sell the home for more than the other two. The vendor goes with the one who overvalued it. The estate then knows it's overvalued and will expect to be haggled with. Lack of buyers will force them to reduce the price, but the market is still made up of many sellers who want to minimise loss and won't sell for a reasonable price in line with the predicted drops in house prices of up to 10-20% in real terms.

Comment

Working...
                      X