Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share of freehold flat - agreeing maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share of freehold flat - agreeing maintenance

Hi Everyone;

My partner and I have recently had an offer accepted on the top floor flat of a converted Victorian townhouse. There are 3 flats in total that share the freehold; the other two are not owner occupied but have long-term tenants.

The freehold agreement says that all freeholders share responsibility for maintenance of the "fabric" of the building i.e. exterior walls, roof etc, but we are told there is no formal arrangement set up to share these costs through a sinking fund or management company.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Should this be something that is easy to formalise in principle given the underlying freehold agreement, or should we be more wary? We don't want to have to foot the bill for maintenance that should be shared by all freeholders. Any experience or advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Share of freehold flat - agreeing maintenance

It's always something to be careful with - regardless of any agreement, enforcing them is always another thing. Absentee landlords can be especially a pain to track down, which is time consuming enough - once contacted, trying to persuade them that they should pay money on the building upkeep is another. Unfortunately, some landlords believe the only outlay for a property is buying it, and will drag their feet as much as possible at the idea of ever having to spend money on a property after purchase.

Comment

Working...
    X