Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Identity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity

I have just agreed to purchase a property 300 miles away from where I live. The seller's agent has asked me to provide proof of identity and present address. They want certified copies of my passport or driving licence and a bank statement. There was nothing like this when I last moved home. It seems that buying property is now a lot more complicated than it used to be. I am starting to feel nervous at the prospect of a lot of hassle. Are there any other (presumably) New Labour innovations to watch out for? Everything in life seems more difficult these days. I can cope with paperwork but dread the thought of having to make multiple return trips to my intended new location before the transfer of the property.

Re: Identity

Instruct a solicitor local to you and then get him to supply the certified copies to the estate agent.

All this ID stuff is about preventing fraud and money laundering, I'm afraid.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

The property I have agreed to buy was offered for sale with a £1,000 cash back incentive. I have been told that the T&Cs of the cash back include conveyancing being carried out by a solicitor nominated by the estate agent. I would have preferred to choose my own solicitor but do not want to lose the £1,000 cash back.

Comment

I would have thought that one of your local solicitors could still do it and charge you a nominal fee. You wouldn't be instructing them to act for you in the conveyancing, just confirming your identity.

Comment

Working...
        X