Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Listed Building Survey Issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Listed Building Survey Issues

    We are currently in the process of purchasing a Grade 2 listed cottage. I have recently had the structural survey done and a couple of items have come out which need addressing. A small outbuilding (included in the listing) currently a utility room has had some subsidence which will need some investigation and potential underpinning. On the same building some plaster rendering also needs repairing. The other item is that some of the pan-tiles need re-laying (again mentioned in the listing).

    My questions are:
    - Am I right that the current owners have the responsibility to fix these as part of the maintenance of their propoperty under English Heritage guidelines?
    - I am about a couple of weeks away from exchange so what's the best way to handle this? Ask them to fix before completion or have some sort of deposit retainer so I can get the work done?

    I am worried I will be left with a big bill, because without further investigation on the subsidence issue, I don't know how much this will cost to sort out. What is the normal approach to this type of problem when purchasing? I want the property, but I don't think it is reasonable to expect me to foot the bill for these items.