Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leases and length: What to consider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leases and length: What to consider?

I'm looking to buy a flat. I've heard its best to buy a property with a 125 year lease. However, if I hang onto the property for say 20 years, it will have less time left on the lease.

Do I need to consider how much a lease extension will be before buying a property?? Should this be a primary concern?

Re: Leases and length: What to consider?

If you buy a 125 year lease and keep it for 20 yaers as this'll stand at the moment a 105 year lease would be very acceptably to most buyers.

A lease with lease than 82 years when you sell it will be less attractive as depending on how savvy they are buyers will be thinking about the cost of a lease extension. This will apply to an extent to leases in the mid 80s of yaers as well.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X