Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a house with no Planning Permission or Building regs for garage conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house with no Planning Permission or Building regs for garage conversion

I am looking for a bit of help. I am in the process of buying a house that has had an integral garage converted to a reception room. I have discovered that although the seller did not need planning permission, building control never were informed and have not passed the work carried out. Having discussed this with the solicitor I am being advised to take out some indemnity insurance.

The help I need is:
    1) is the indemnity insurance worth taking out?

2) The Seller does not want to contact Planning and Building Control to apply for the retrospective permissions, are they legally abridged to provide evidence of work carried out?

3) I am concerned that the damp proofing, insulation, support etc may not be compliant and could be inferior and problematic in the future, how can I check?

4) Am I being over cautious or is this a real problem because if I have concerns but go for it and when I sell no one else touches the property because of the lack of proof of work then I am in big trouble.

5) If the policy is null and void if when I move in I contact building control, what would happen if someone anonymously contacted them? Would the insurance still stand then?

As you see I am in bit of a pickle and just am unsure what I am getting into so any help would be much appreciated.
Working...
X