Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Idemnity Insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Idemnity Insurance

    Hi wonder if anyone can help?

    My daughter is currently buying a property which has been on the market for sometime with a previous buyer dropping out of the sale (reason why unkown).
    Her solicitor has advised that they cannot trace any planning permissions or building regulation approvals for :-

    1 Electrical updating
    2 Cavity wall insulation
    3 Extension and structural alterations (single storey)
    4 Re-covering of roof (re roofing)

    They are saying that she needs to purchase an Indemnity Policy is this correct and why? How much would should she expect to pay if it is down to her?
    Also the seller only purchased the property in February 2006 and says that non of the works were done by her and that this is the condition she bought the property in so surely wouldn't she already have this in place from her purchase?
    Should my daughter be liable for these costs or should this be down to the vendor? Or is it just the solicitor and or lender being over cautious?

  • #2
    Re: Idemnity Insurance

    Seller should pay for policies because they wouldn't be necessary if he/she had the right paperwork available.

    The extension is the only work that would have needed planning permission and if the work is more than 4 yaers old (because it was there in 2006) it is probably immune from any enforcement action and therefore a policy for that is likely to be unnecessary. If the original planning permission for building the house prevented further extensions of any size without consent then the period would be 10 years and a policy might be needed.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.