Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a property that's worth less than ours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a property that's worth less than ours

Hello all!

2 years ago my girlfriend & I purchased a 3 bed property for £135,000. We're young working parents with two very young children – so life's pretty manic right now!

I've recently come to the conclusion that the property we own is probably a little too large! There's a big garden which I never get time to maintain & I want to redecorate each room (which I also never get time to do!) I'm considering downsizing (for ~5 years) for the following reasons:

- Want a property that's easier to keep on top of.
    - Want a more cosy property. Would really like a cottage.
    - Want to move back to my home town to be closer to family (babysitters!)

There are some ideal properties on the market & are around the £115,000 to £120,000 mark. So that's some 10K less than the value of ours.

I have a few questions:

- I don't have a cash deposit - so how does buying a second home work with regards to a deposit for a new property? Does this come out of the equity of my current house?

- Possibly a hard one to answer, but is downsizing likely to reduce monthly mortgage payments?

- Has anyone here downsized a regretted it!?

Thanks!

Re: Buying a property that's worth less than ours

Hi

It's probably worth you having your current house valued first before you do anything else just in case it's worth less now than when you bought it.

You don't want to buy something smaller for the same price as the one you've got unless it's in a better location.

Also, you may think your 3 bed is too big now but what about when your 2 children are bigger and need more room?

Comment

Hi there,

As Kaz has mentioned it is worthwhile getting a professional opinion on the value of your property before you get too involved in working out figures. If you don't have any savings then the deposit for your new property will come from the equity in your current home assuming that it is worth more than your mortgage.

Don't forget to factor in costs for moving, with estate agent fees, solicitors, survey and removal fees you could spend £5,000 or more in the process so the slightly cheaper house isn't necessarily going to reduce your mortgage balance / costs.

Also, as Kaz has rightly mentioned, you might want to go through the whole process again in a few years time, ending up back in a house of similar size to what you own now but having spent £10,000+ on 2 moves in the meantime.

Also keep in mind that property may start to increase in value over the next few years, so stepping back up the ladder may require a bigger jump in price than the downward move you are considering now in the current market.

Weigh up the pros & cons, only you can decide if it's right for your circumstances.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Yeah I agree, moving is expensive (and stressful!!) probably better to invest that in your current home and maybe pay a decorator to do a couple of rooms?

Comment

Also remember that mortgage rates are currently very favourable, so over-paying your existing mortgage on a cheap rate now will put you in good stead for paying far less interest in future, and mean you have more equity for deposit issues if you do wish to move.

Comment

Working...
          X