Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Defective Title Indemnity Policy..

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Defective Title Indemnity Policy..

    Hi guys

    I'm a First time buyer purchasing from an elderly retired couple; today i've received a letter from my solicitor advising a defect has been discovered in that there is no FENSA certificate for the installation of a door 5 years ago and no Gas Safety Certificate in respect of the central heating system.

    My Solicitor then mentions a number of options to deal with this 'title defect' :

    A) To withdraw from the transaction. This may not be your desired outcome.
    B) To continue with the transaction irrespective of the defect. You will appreciate that this could affect the future sale ability and mortgage ability of the property.
    C) To attempt to remedy the defect. This may not always be possible and will obviously involve time and money.
    D) To obtain title insurance. This option is quick and relatively cheap way of overcoming the title problem.

    The sellers solicitors have offered to provide me with a 'Defective Title Indemnity Policy' at their client's cost.

    Is it just a case of me getting a replacement FENSA certificate via the FENSA site ? The seller has advised that the boiler and gas has been checked only recently so am confused...

    I would gratefully appreciate any advice as being a FTB i haven't a clue

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by laww; 15-01-2011, 12:10 PM. Reason: Missed a vital point out

  • #2
    Re: Defective Title Indemnity Policy..

    P.s. Can i just get the gas safety done myself which will provide a certificate or is this not possible to remedy the issue ?