Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak from flat above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak from flat above

Hi

I viewed a great first floor flat today but just before the viewing, the estate agent pointed out he had noticed a leak from the flat above.

The estate agent mentioned the flat above is being refurbished and some of the work being carried out could have led to some temporary flooding in the flat but that the source of the leak could be easily fixed and should not be a cause for concern. Although, I have my doubts about this explanation, I have lived in a flat before where the property above has leaked and where the problem was easily fixed.

As such, I am tempted to make an offer for the flat on the basis that if there any any genuine issues, the survey will reveal this. Additionally, I also intend to revisit the flat with a builder for an expert opinion on the leak.

Being a first time buyer I am perhaps being quite naive so would be truly grateful for the opinion of people on this forum. Should I simply walk away at this point or will it be safe to rely on the opinion of the surveyor and builder. Presumably, if either of the experts advise me that there are serious issues to consider, I will be able to withdraw my offer?

Thanks

Re: Leak from flat above

Great thing about the law in this country is that you can pull out at ANY point up until the exchange of contracts for any reason (as can the seller...).

I'd contact the seller and see what he intends to do about the problem. After all, it's his problem at the moment, just remind me of that!

Comment

The thing that puts me off about flats is the leasehold/freehold thing... and paying ground rent/maintenance - all hiddencosts that sneak up on you!

Comment

The best thing to do is to contact the seller because the problem lies with him in fixing the roof. for all you know this might even take a while to be fixed so just be patient before you can start talking in monetary terms.
        Michelle Alden- Property to Rent

Comment

Working...
        X