Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burst pipe found on exchange day, what next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burst pipe found on exchange day, what next?

Hey all, they day I was ment to exchange on a repo property I got a call from the agents to say a pipe had burst. I have been to view the house again and the water has damaged ceilings and walls, carpets and wooden floors. Maybe unseen damage to as it looks like the water was running for a while. What would usually happen next? Are the sellers legally obliged to sort the damage? Will they offer a reduction? Should I pull out and lose £1500 that I already paid out. My worry is that the moisture is now going to cause more damage as the house is left unheated and empty. Any suggestions or comments welcomed, regards, jase

Re: Burst pipe found on exchange day, what next?

What a nightmare, I don't know what the outcome should be but hope it works out!

Comment

Hi Jlak,

Have you now exchanged contracts on the house? I believe the law is pretty black and white, if damage occurs AFTER contracts are exchanged it's your problem, however if you notice it before the exchange you will need to negoiate the reduction with the seller (or bank in this case). I would guess that most sellers would have to be understanding and would have to accept a lower offer to stop you pulling out and them having to start the whole process again.

Let us know how you get on

Comment

wow I'm so sorry you in that situation, look at what the contract says that's if u have signed already and then take it from there.
        Michelle Alden- Property to Rent

Comment

Working...
        X