Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying property with no planning - and I have possibly done something very stupid!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wmshome
    replied
    Re: Buying property with no planning - and I have possibly done something very stupid

Just get it all in writing from the council, and any other back up. Maybe from the seller and/or estate agents. Just stating anythin gthey are re assuring you about. should have covered yourself then.

Leave a comment:

• Waldo
    replied
    Re: Buying property with no planning - and I have possibly done something very stupid

Not trouble exactly but other forum posts I have read suggest that it is best to leave it to the solicitor and get indemnity insurance based on any uncertainty rather than pushing for council investigation, seems odd that as a buyer you should opt for risk over reasurrance but that is the suggestion.

We do want it (although wary) and it is advertised as 'fully extended to the rear despite no planning.

I actually had a call back from the council and as we 'believe' all works are older than 4 years then it seems they are not interested as no complaints have been made. In their words they are 'reactive' rather than 'proactive' and she has said that they therfore would not demand the extension is torn down. Building regs wise it's still a bit uncertain but as long as works we wished to do were to improve the quality of existing works that we should be fine.

We have gone back with a lower offer, based on all the suvey findings etc and are waiting on the vendor.

It looks like if they accept then we will proceed unless someone tells me were still being really stupid?

Leave a comment:

• wmshome
    replied

If you haven't bought it yet then your surely not in any trouble?

If you really want it though, to my knowledge they shouldnt be advertising the exstensions unless they have planning... You can apply now and as long as it falls in what the council want and current building regs then should be fine... But make them do this first or over them a price without all the exstensions...

Leave a comment:

• Buying property with no planning - and I have possibly done something very stupid!!

Dear All,

I may have just commited a cardinal sin. But someone please give me some good news!

We are trying to buy a terraced property (georgian, locally listed and in a conservation area) - It was last bought 6 years ago and has clearly seen some structural changed over the years, it's now open plan downstairs and has a rear extension (shoddy and plastic roof - more like a conservatory) housing the kitchen at the rear. It appears that there have been no applications for planning for any of the works done and no building reg info. It also appears that they have done some random work in the roof space (added a couple of beams) and taken a chimey stack out - none of which has seemingly been checked and it has been flagged by our surveyor. The place aside from this is also in need of lots of tidying and general redecoration.

I feared we would have no option but to pull out, and in light of being unable to reach our solicitor I took it upon myself to ask the council.

Basically I wanted some reassurance that should we purchase that they wont insist that the kitchen has to be removed etc so told them what I knew needed looking at. They have raised a case and will now probably want to investigate. I believe this will rule me out of getting any building indemnity insurance? And will essentially putting the council onto it inadvertantly cancel any chance we have of purchase? What will the council do and will this take forever?

I fear the worst....
Working...
X