Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Title Register

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title Register

Hi

I obtained a title register for a property I am thinking of purchasing from the land registry.

Is it right that this document would only list the current owner of the property?

Is there a way of finding who the previous owners were?

Thanks for your help

Furn

Re: Title Register

Why do you need to know?
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Hi Richard

Thanks for having a look at my query. On the title document it mentions a prior owner, but not the previous owner. It did not seem right to me, but I have never bought a house before to know.

Furn

Comment

There will often be references to covenants or rights of various contained in earlier documents. The Land Registry entries will say things like "A Conveyance dated 15 October 1953 made between Joe Bloggs Builders Limited and Fred Smith contains [the following rights] or [restrictive covenants set out in the Schedule of Restrictive Covenants]. The information is merely given to identify the particular document that contained those items.

In this case Fred Smith would have been the person who bought the house new from the builder, but unless you are researching the history of your house the name of the first buyer is pretty academic and hasn't really got anything to do with anything now.
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Ah, thanks Richard, one of the entries was:

(xx.xx.2007) A Conveyance of the land tinted blue on the title
          plan dated x September 197x made between (1) John Smith and Jane Smith (Vendors) and (2) Ian Jones and Mary Jones (Purchasers) contains vendor's personal covenant(s) details of which are set out in the schedule of personal covenants hereto

Furn

Comment

So you can look to see what the personal covenants were. Personal covenants don't bind the land and tend to be about things which require some positive action such as maintaining a fence or paying a sum of money. They are only enforceable against the person who originally gave the covenant, so it may worth trying to find out if John and Jane Smith still live nearby.

Comment

thanks for an advice
              paskolos internetu

Comment

Working...
              X