Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shared equity deals in Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared equity deals in Scotland

Re-location will take me north of the border early next year. I'm hoping that with prices being a bit lower up there I can afford my own place for the first time but I'll still need a scheme to help me out. I've just read about a shared equity scheme (on whathouse.co.uk) in Scotland but I'm led to believe the situation up there is different to that down here (e.g. no HomeBuy funding). Anyone know of any other shared equity/affordable schemes that might fit the bill? I'll need to be located close to Glasgow. Cheers.
    Last edited by johnfordcoley; 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Shared equity deals in Scotland

Originally posted by johnfordcoley View Post
    Re-location will take me north of the border early next year. I'm hoping that with prices being a bit lower up there I can afford my own place for the first time but I'll still need a scheme to help me out. I've just read about a shared equity scheme (on whathouse.co.uk) in Scotland but I'm led to believe the situation up there is different to that down here (e.g. no HomeBuy funding). Anyone know of any other shared equity/affordable schemes that might fit the bill? I'll need to be located close to Glasgow. Cheers.
    Some of the builders offer a shared equity scheme. Have a look on Rightmove for the areas you want and see what builders there are and check their websites.

Some housing associations offer this where you can buy 25%, 50% or 75% usually on new build. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Glasgow area but try googling housing associations in strathclyde and see what comes up.

There is a government scheme called LIFT. This first started in 2009 and the government provided 20-30% of the price on new and old homes. There was a lot of enthusiasm but, as usual with anything done by government it was really hard to get the money. There was a huge waiting list and I know most IFAs just gave up on it. I heard Alex Salmond say something about help for homebuyers on TV last week but don't put any store in that as the man is a buffoon, as are a lot of the MSPs across all parties. If you are coming up here please be assured we are not all like them ! Here is a link to the government page on LIFT

Scottish Government: Web page currently unavailable.

Here is also a link to Citizens advice page who are actually very good. You could contact them for general advice.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...ft_in_scotland

Good luck with your move and I am sure once you are settled you will love it, provided you don't bump into a scottish MP

Comment

Re: Shared equity deals in Scotland

Thanks for that information - particularly the bit about MSPs! There always seems to be a disparity between the help they talk about for housebuyers and the help they actually provide, whichever country you're in. I'll certainly check out those HAs.

Comment

Working...
      X