Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Ground Rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Ground Rent

Hi everyone,

I have just bought the ground rent for my property from the landlord and I am wondering what this actually means, do I now own the land on which my property stands?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Re: Buying Ground Rent

Before you bought the freehold (ground rent) you owned the land on which your property stands for the length of the lease now you own it forever.

Please will people get out of this idea that a freeholder owns the land whereas a leaseholder does not. What happens if there is a lease of a piece of open land for 999 years and there is no building on it?

It is about a length of time as opposed to forever, not about the difference between owning a house and owning the land it is built on.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Buying Ground Rent

@Richard - nice one! I've been suspicious about this for Yrs. So it's about longevity. I've had major problems with my Freeholders for over 12 Yrs. I bought my Lease 8 Yrs ago, I've never accepted any bills/demands for anything. I've denied them Joinder, no contract therefore no case to answer. Only now they think they can trot along to the LVT - not for me thank you. I've owned the Flat since 92' prior to the current Freeholders taking over & when the Freehold was last 'sold' we Leaseholders were not consulted. I wrote straight away to the 'new' Freeholders upon receiving a demand from their Third Party, whose Services I did not instigate = no contract. The Freeholder has never once responded to any written questions, a request for dialogue was made a number of Yrs ago - denied (you can say what you like) If it's written down then it's different. Inessence they're out of time- well out of it

Comment

Working...
      X