Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should an estate agency send property particulars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should an estate agency send property particulars

I made an offer on a property based on rightmove listing, which was accepted. Had two viewings in separate weeks; no onward chain - so far so good - it all looked like a quick turn around and everyone involved seemed genuine

Today the estate agency declined to arrange access for the surveyor from my mortgage provider on the basis there is chain and I am, undestandably, nervous as to what is going on.

Is surveyor access only given after the owner has moved out? why would they deny access? the owner confirmed previously he is moving with partner so no onward chain...

I guess I am trying to establish for how long they can delay and to what extend they are liable - if for example they pull out this whole excercise will cost me and it seems I as a buyer, albeit first time one, will bare all costs.

It also seems weird that although Geoffrey Matthew Estates are a respectable agency - they have not even send us property particulars, nor to our solicitors.

Im I being too unpatient? or does the above sound somewhat odd? I am being assured that my offer is the highest, but nevertheless I feel uneasy

Re: should an estate agency send property particulars

well I am not too sure what is going on, BUT take this from some who has been through the worst...NEVER NEVER NEVER trust an estate agent! they are in the interest of the buyer only. some would even break rules and do all sorts, so if i were you chase them and ask questions, get your solicitors to send an email to the agent, try to get everything in writing, phone calls are not recorded, so they can lie on the phone. lastly even knock on the vendors door or send them a letter and ask what really is going on.

sometimes vendors are not even aware of what agents are doing, some offers are not even passed on.
    surveys can be done whilst vendors are still at the house. have you got your acceptance offer posted to you? if not chase them, keep bugging them. get everything in writing, if the agent is registered with "the property ombudsman" you can recover all your costs if something is not done correctly.

Comment

I'm surprised - if the mortgage company cannot have their surveyor in, then it stops you from being able to make mortgage arrangements.

I can't see any grounds for refusing it, other than perhaps the sellers have decided they cannot fulfill the offer as yet. In which case, speak to the solicitor dealing with the sale for you, to ensure all matters are clarified - not least your rights in the current situation of having an offer accepted, but then being refused access for a normal mortgage valuation procedure.

Comment

Is it possibly that the chain above is not complete so they don't want you applying for a mortgage on a purchase that is going nowhere until the chain is together?
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
        X