Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying a house with no planning permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a house with no planning permission

Help!!!!

I am a first time buyer and found a beautiful house , after weeks of negotiations, my offer was accepted. Sunsequently, i had trouble sorting my mortgage and after a couple of months , finally mortgage was granted. We are almost ready to exchange the contracts but solicitor poined out that , there was no planning permission or buiding regulation for the loft conversion which comprises of 2 bedrooms and a shower room. It was not the seller who did the conversion, it was there before he bought in 2005 but he himeslef is not aware when it was built.But he has taken an indemnity insurance to protect from any future enforcement and hence my solicitor pointed out that it should be alright to go ahead with the sale.

But, i have my doubts, as I read that I am not covered for structural defects or shoddy workmanship and hence I asked seller for a structural survey done for the loft conversion to make sure it is of not bad standards but he refused. Previously, i opted for home buyers report and it came out clean but the surveyor pointed out that loft conversion is not inspected but cosmetically looks in good shape.

I decided to go for a structural survey for loft conversion with my own costs but the seller is threating to pull out if I dont reach a decision by Monday. It took some time to sort my mortgage, and I can understand his frustration, but I have to decide now whether to take it or leave it.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Raj

Re: buying a house with no planning permission

Raj, it may turn out costly for you since the building regulations have become strict and there is huge demand on things like:
    Is the steel structure installed correctly and supported by pillows?
    Is the ridge supported by steel beam?
    Are all structural beams fire protected?
    Is there smoke detectors installed?
    Are all doors to rooms and kitchen had been changed to fire-rated? and so on.
    Your can easy get your loft certified by council, but as i said it may cost you an are and a leg. I think your previous owner converted the house but does not want to tell you about this. - this is obvious: why would you worry about this and he hadn't when he bout the property? - the answer is you need to get a proper estimator (or building company) to check out what is what.

Comment

Re: buying a house with no planning permission

And by the way, ask previous owner how much he paid for home insurance if the loft was not certified. - It is like you lose your Motor "No Clime Bonus" Insurance.

Comment

Working...
      X