Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the next step...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the next step...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and the whole topic of house buying. I've just started viewing properties, mainly late victorian and art-deco period small houses/terraces. I love the traditional features these home's offer and although the 2 different periods differ greatly I love both equally. The problem that seems to come with an older house of course is the chance of repair work being needed. I know i'll need to get a survey done but have no idea how much this will cost and to what level. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for when viewing older properties, i.e subsidence, damp, etc? As you can tell I have no idea so any help or advice would be much appreciated

You should certainly commission a RICS Home Buyers Survey. Typically starting from £300ish +vat it will be perfect for the type and age of property that you are looking at.

Don't try a diy survey unless you know what to look for. Obviously if there are huge cracks and plaster is falling off then you can see that there may be a problem. But, it is important that the cause is identified before running to the hills.

Comment

I think that you can check the property out for yourself before getting an expert to look at it, though. If you see obvious signs of water damage, mold, or foundation problems, you should probably move on.
      Don't pay an expert until you're sure you're interested in the property, and it comes across as decent to you.

Comment

Good advice already - basic poor maintenance will be easy to spot, but whatever you see, if seriously interested, the survey will help locate any hidden problems. My understanding is that damp is one of the biggest problems with traditional/period properties, but so long as identified and treated early enough, it can help stop an issue from becoming a real headache.

It's also worth remembering, though, that older properties are often built to a higher standard than many new build houses. For example, the house I'm in is a Barrett's, but it's been properly built with traditional stone and a really firm concret foundation - while behind us the new builds are just kit houses - held up with wooden frames with the brickwork as just for show.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Comment

Yes, I would wait until you are sure you have found something that you like and then get the inspection and go from there. But you are right that alot of times the older houses can have less problems. I was actually surprised to see this also when we were looking at home.

Comment

Working...
          X