Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old or New House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old or New House

Hi,

I'm buying a house soon, and I like old houses (something with a bit of character). However, my parents think if I buy an old house it will be impossible to sell. Obviously I will have it surveyed so I will know it is ok structurally and for damp etc, but do buyers really only want second hand barrat homes?

Thanks,

Jo

Re: Old or New House

I'm not sure what your prents' logic is with this, but there should be no reason why an old house should be difficult to sell.

Any property should sell if it is priced correctly, and there are plenty of people around (me included) who prefer older properties rather than newer style properties which generally don't have the same character or build quality.

So long as you are paying a realistic price to buy, and the property has no major structural / damp / timber problems etc, then I don't think the age of the property is a relevant deciding factor other than as a part of your own personal preference of the type of property you would like to buy.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

I totally agree with IFA.

I too prefer older houses. They generally have larger rooms and definitely have more character. I have only ever bought older houses and have never had any trouble selling them.

Comment

You might want to watch this topic, new builds for international delopers are on the up, so you may find brand new homes may be popular in the future, especially due to EPC taken more seriously in decision making for property.
        Callaways Estate and Letting Agents Brighton and Hove
        Please Follow me on Twitter HERE

Comment

Working...
        X